1. K-State home
  2. »Global Campus
  3. »Military and Families
  4. »FAQ

Global Campus


Admission to K-State

Can I start my program at any time?
Application for admission can be done at any time during the year. Classes start at various times during the year.

What do I need to do to get my Military Experience evaluated?
You need to have your JST transcript sent to K-State. See your Army Education Counselor for additional information and send transcript to: Office of Admissions, Kansas State University, 119 Anderson Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506.

Does K-State accept credit from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, Excelsior, and Quiz-Outs?
Yes, view the complete listing.

Does K-State accept Advanced Placement from High School?
Yes, view the complete listing.

Does K-State have a residency requirement?
The residency requirement is 25% of the degree you are completing. If you are military and have a SOCAD agreement, the requirement to receive the last 30 hours from K-State is waived. However, 25 percent of your classes must be taken from K-State

Will K-State accept my transcripts from the other colleges I have attended?
Yes, K-State accepts transfer credit hours from other regionally accredited educational institutions. You have the ability (depending on degree plan) to transfer up to 60 credits of approved coursework including ACE approved military transcripts into a bachelor's degree program

Do I get any college credit for my time in the military?
Yes, Kansas State University will accept in transfer military credits earned through CCAF, AARTS & SMART. Your advisor will be able to answer specific questions.

I was called to active duty during my second semester of college. Do I have to follow any special re-admissions procedures now that I am ready to re-enroll?
Federal regulations prohibit schools from denying re-admission to a service member who wants to return. You can provide your school with either written or oral notice of your intent to return. You school must re-admit you at the same academic status you had when you left for your service. The school must also charge you the same tuition and fees per term when you come back.

Do I get a military discount?
K-State does not offer a military discount. However, students are encouraged to apply for financial aid/grants, scholarships, in addition to use their active-duty and veteran benefits.

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Student Agreements

Do I need to get get a SOCAD agreement or a Curriculum Guide?
Yes, you will need an agreement or a curriculum guide to be eligible for tuition assistance before you enroll in your ninth semester credit hour.

What is a Student Agreement (SA)?

A Student Agreement (SA) is an electronic document processed from the course information contained on the SOC agreement, which is submitted to the GoArmyEd portal. This document posts to the individual soldier's GoArmyEd profile and creates the GoArmyEd Degree Progress Report. An approved student agreement is also required before you can set up a course planner in GoArmyEd

It is important to note that once you have completed 6 credits at K-State through the GoArmyEd portal, a hold will automatically be placed on your account by the GoArmyEd system and enrollment will be suspended until the SA is submitted. Submit all necessary documents to K-State as quickly as possible to avoid this hold. If a SA hold is placed on your account, you can contact the Army Education Counselor and request a temporary deferral to the hold.

Course Materials

How much do books cost?
The cost of books varies and there is no one specific amount per book per class. A good estimate is $100 per book. Sometimes it can be a bit more. Others it is less.

Does Tuition Assistance (TA) cover books?
No, tuition assistance does not cover the cost of textbooks. Tuition assistance covers tuition and some fees.

Taking Courses

Where can I take classes?
K-State offers classes online or on ground. This allows the military learner flexibility as shift schedules change or if TDY's or deployments arise. On ground classes are offered at our Salina or Manhattan campus.

Does K-State offer courses at Fort Riley?
K-State only offers Airframe and Powerplant Certification review courses at Fort Riley.

Can I finish my degree completely online?
Yes, learners have the option to complete their degree online.

How do I enroll for classes?
You must be accepted into K-State to enroll. Once accepted you may see your advisor or you may enroll online through KSIS. If you are using Tuition Assistance, you will also need to follow protocol for applying for and using TA. GoArmyEd users will need to enroll in GoArmyEd once the KSIS enrollment process is complete

Do I need any special software to access an online class?
Students must have daily access to a computer with Internet and web capabilities. Students should be able to access and review course materials daily. Computer memory must be sufficient so that the students can send and receive messages and use web resources. The use of the K-State Online Learning [KSOL] resource works best if students use a high speed or DSL connection. Students should consult with K-State's IT Help Desk for questions regarding technology requirements. If unfamiliar with online technology, students are encouraged to take the IT training.

GoArmy Ed

How do I enroll in GoArmy Ed?
You must first establish a GoarmyEd account and complete the six steps required to initialize Tuition Assistance. You will be required to have a TA Statement of Understanding on file (E-6 and above can sign their own) Once you have chosen K-State as your home school and have enrolled in KSIS, you can enroll in GoArmyEd.

Do I have to use GoArmyEd to enroll in classes for K-State, if I am using TA?
Army learners using Tuition Assistance must enroll through the GoArmyEd portal. All other military learners should enroll through KSIS and submit required TA documents

Tuition Assistance (TA)

How do I get tuition assistance?
Tuition Assistance for the army is administered through GoArmyEd.com. See your Army Education Counselor.

Tuition Assistance pays for my class when I have finished it and turned in my grades. Do I have to pay for the class up front?
No, K-State works with learners to avoid financial hardship by waiting for reimbursement until the class is complete.

Does Tuition Assistance cover my undergraduate class?
No, K-State tuition is currently $261 per credit hour; we are $11 over the $250 per credit hour cap. However, there are multiple financial aid and veterans benefits assistance programs that help to cover the remainder cost. TA Top-up may also be an option for you to consider. See your ArmyEducation counselor for information on TA Top-Up.

Financial Aid

Can I apply for Financial Aid as well as using my Tuition Assistance benefits? How does that process work?
Yes, you are able to apply for Financial Aid (Pell or Loans) and use your Tuition Assistance. They are two separate programs. You would continue to follow tuition assistance procedures and the process for receiving Financial Aid.

I am eligible for Montgomery GI Bill benefits to pay for college. Will these benefits affect my eligibility for financial aid?
Receiving federal veteran's education benefits will not impact your eligibility for financial aid such as Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans. Your benefits may impact your eligibility for state aid and aid from your school. It would be a good idea to make an appointment with someone in the financial aid office to discuss your eligibility for state and institutional aid.

I'm currently serving on active duty. In addition to my regular pay, what military benefits do I need to report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
You should report the value of taxable combat pay and special combat pay in Question 43. You should also report the value of any military living allowance you receive in Question 44, except the value of on-base housing or the value of a basic housing allowance. If you receive any non-education veteran's benefits, you should include them in your response to Question 44, along with the value of Veteran Administration (VA) Educational Work-Study allowances.

Does the fact that I receive a basic housing allowance impact my eligibility for financial aid?
Yes. The financial aid office determines your eligibility for aid in part on how much it will cost you to go to school. If you receive a basic housing allowance or live in on-base housing, your expenses or budget cannot include an allowance for housing.

Field Training/TDY/PCS/Deployment

I am going TDY/Deploying, can I still take classes?
Online classes are open to all learners including those going TDY and to learners deploying. It is encouraged that you consider the level of connectivity and the amount of time you will have to complete courses before you enroll. Communicate with your instructor about upcoming trainings and deployments.

I have been notified that I will PCS soon. Can I still take classes?
Learners located at distant locations can finish their degree by taking online classes.

If I have to go to the field in the middle of a session will my instructors work with me?
K-State prides itself on flexibility. Usually, most instructors are more than happy to work through your situation as long as you make them aware of it BEFOREHAND.

If I am deployed on short notice am I still charged the full tuition for the session?
If you are deployed on short notice and are unable to finish your session, there are a variety of options to explore. It is important that you talk to your advisor to understand the options and how they will impact your unique situation.

If I am deployed, may I withdraw from my class without any negative consequences to my academic record or military TA?
Yes. You may withdraw from K-State online courses by simply providing us with a copy of your travel orders. If you are deployed at a moment's notice, we will need a POC within your unit to verify your deployment status.

Veteran Affairs (VA) Benefits

What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill or Chapter 33?
Chapter 33 is a Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefit program that eligible K-State students may utilize beginning August 1, 2009. You may be eligible if you have active-duty service performed after September 10, 2001 and have:

  • Served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty on or after September 10, 2001; or
  • Served a period of at least 30 days and received a disability; or
  • Are a dependent of an active-duty service member eligible for benefits under the Transfer of Entitlement provision of Chapter 33.

If eligible for Chapter 33 benefits, you may receive the following:

  • Payment of tuition and fees not to exceed tuition at a public institution in the state of the school you are attending.
  • A monthly housing allowance equal to the housing payable to an E-5 active-duty member with dependents. The amount is based on the zip code of the school you are attending. You must be in attendance more than a half-time rate. The monthly housing allowance is not payable if you are on active duty or if you are enrolled in online courses only; and
  • A yearly book and supply stipend of $41.67 per credit hour, not to exceed $1,000 per academic year. The stipend is not available if you are on active duty.

You receive a percentage of the three benefits based on the length of your active duty as indicated by the following chart:

Service Requirements (after 9/10/09) you must serve an aggregate of% of Maximum Benefit Payable
At least 36 months100
At least 30 continuous days on active duty (Discharge due to service connected disability100
At least 30 months, but less than 36 months90
At least 24 months, but less than 30 months80
At least 18 months, but less than 24 months70
At least 12 months, but less than 18 months60
At least 6 months, but less than 12 months50
At least 90 days, but less than six months40

I want to use my VA/GI Bill benefits (e.g., Chapter 31, Top-Up) to pay for my class. Is there someone on staff who can help me with this?

Yes, we have a staff member who is trained to assist learners using VA/GI Bill benefits and to certify the courses on behalf of the school. Call: 785-532-7061 or email veteran@k-state.edu for more information.

chat loading...