1. K-State home
  2. »Global Campus
  3. »College of Education
  4. »Master of Arts in Teaching
  5. »Secondary Track

K-State Global Campus
1615 Anderson Avenue
Manhattan, KS 66502

1-800-622-2578 (toll free)

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST

Extended Student Services Hours:

8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST

Master of Arts in Teaching (Secondary Track)

If you’ve been thinking about becoming a teacher, but you’re worried it will take too long to reach your goal, the online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is the solution for you.

The MAT is a 12-month program for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside the field of education who want to become teachers. This program combines rigorous online coursework with a field experience in an accredited school near you—no matter where you live in the U.S. Once you complete the program, you’ll be eligible to apply for an Initial Teaching License for teaching in the state of Kansas. The license will transfer to other states.

The secondary education program allows you to choose a specialization in either social science or modern languages. The social science track will prepare you to receive a teaching license for grades 6-12. The modern languages track will prepare you to receive a teaching license for grades K-12. You must have a bachelor’s degree in your chosen specialization.

“I wanted to tell you that the program and all involved were so professional and the material really sealed my passion for teaching. I absolutely loved the selected courses and my first students!”
— Karen Bender, program graduate

Teaching Licenses for Out-of-State Students

The Kansas Initial Teaching License will transfer outside of the state of Kansas. Kansas has reciprocal licensing agreements with all other states in the U.S.; however, you may be required to complete an additional test (e.g., state history and/or constitution).

The nonprofit organization Education Commission of the States has compiled Teacher License Reciprocity State Profiles that provide additional information about the teacher license reciprocity agreements for each state in a searchable format.


Kansas State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle St. Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602.

The Professional Education Unit at Kansas State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE).

Request information
chat loading...