1. K-State home
  2. »Global Campus
  3. »College of Education
  4. »Master of Arts in Teaching

K-State Global Campus
1615 Anderson Avenue
Manhattan, KS 66502

1-800-622-2578 (toll free)

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST

Extended Student Services Hours:

8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST

Master of Arts in Teaching (Elementary Track)

If you’ve been thinking about becoming an elementary education teacher, but you’re worried it will take too long to reach your goal, the online Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is the solution for you.

The MAT is a 12-month program for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree outside the field of education who want to become teachers. This program combines rigorous online coursework with a field experience in an accredited elementary school near you—no matter where you live in the U.S. Once you complete the program, you’ll be eligible to apply for an Initial Teaching License for teaching K-6 in the state of Kansas. The license will transfer to other states.

During elementary school, children build foundational ideas, skills and attitudes that shape their future education and adult life. The quality of the classroom teacher is the single most predictive school-related variable of student academic achievement. The ways in which teachers are educated, developed and mentored matter.

“I wanted to tell you that the program and all involved were so professional and the material really sealed my passion for teaching. I absolutely loved the selected courses and my first students!”
— Karen Bender, program graduate

Now recruiting for the May 2020 cohort.
Application deadline April 1.

Worried About Tuition? 

Rarely has there been a better time to fund a transition to elementary teaching. Below is a list of opportunities. 

  1. Kansas Teacher Service Scholarship. Eligible for MAT students. Provides $2,217 per semester for fall and spring. MAT students who apply before May 1 will be placed in the “priority pool” for this scholarship. Applications due May 1.

  2. Scholarships through K-State Global Campus. Multiple scholarship opportunities for MAT students. Provide $1,000-$1,500 per semester.  Application deadline is April 1 for the summer, June 1 for the fall and Nov. 1 for the spring.

  3. Kansas Transitions to Teaching Fellowships (KTTT). These fellowships are provided to students who agree to teach in Kansas for every year they receive the fellowship (i.e., one year). The director of the program will send KTTT applications directly to students upon admission. Provides $6,000 for tuition and a $750 technology stipend. You must be admitted into the MAT program to apply. In 2018, 36 students applied and 34 were provided fellowships. Priority to be given to applicants who apply by April 1.
  4. Federal Loan Forgiveness for Teachers. Eligible for MAT students willing to teach in a “low-income school” for five consecutive years are eligible for federal loan forgiveness. Maximum benefit is $17,500.

  5. Don’t forget to complete the FAFSA. A note for MAT student: to maximize your scholarship eligibility, you must complete the FAFSA for both the current aid year to be eligible for summer scholarships, and the next aid year to be eligible for future fall and spring scholarships. Completion of the FAFSA is required to be eligible for several of the financial assistance programs listed above. Additional financial assistance can be found at the bottom of the Global Campus Financial Assistance and Scholarships webpage.

Teaching Licenses for Out-of-State Students

K-State's teacher education programs are accredited at the national, regional, and state level. This makes transferring your Kansas teaching license to another state easier. Every state has their own rules and applications for teacher licensure. Some states will accept the Kansas license with no additional information. Others will ask for an Institutional Verification form. K-State’s licensing officer will send a form to verify your teaching fields. Some states ask that you take additional tests or a course specific to their state. Typically, getting your Kansas License first makes getting your out-of-state license easier. If you have a current Kansas license, most states will give you a temporary license while you complete any missing requirements.

Since every state has different requirements and requirements are constantly changing, we recommend that you check with your state education department for current requirements. The nonprofit organization Education Commission of the States has compiled Teacher License Reciprocity State Profiles that provide additional information about the teacher license reciprocity agreements for each state in a searchable format.

Students from 35 states and five countries have successfully completed K-State’s MAT.


Kansas State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle St. Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602.

The Professional Education Unit at Kansas State University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE).

Request information
chat loading...