Application Process for Educational Leadership Master's Degree
1. Review Admission Requirements
To qualify for admission into the educational leadership master’s degree, students must have already completed or meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree with 3.0 GPA in the final two years or approximately the last 60 credit hours
- Relevant prior teaching preparation equivalent to K-State's programs for licensure to teach in preschool, elementary or secondary schools (e.g., a professional teaching license)
- Score of Level 3 or higher on the Admissions Standards Self-Survey (located within the application)
Exceptions may be made when the applicant's career goals clearly align with coursework offered in this department. This exception is directed to persons seeking a leadership degree but whose emphasis is not in the P-12 domain. It is not intended to be an exception to the requirement for professional license eligibility prior to admission.
2. Review Application Requirements
- U.S. Applicants
- Applications are accepted year-round. Applicants should plan to apply within two to three months from the start of the semester. The fall semester begins in late August, the spring semester begins in late January and the summer semester begins in late May.
- International Applicants
- Fall semester (begins in late August): January 8
- Spring semester (begins in late January): August 1
- Summer semester (begins in late May): December 1
Students who would like to get started right away but have missed the deadline may take classes as a nondegree-seeking student. Contact us for assistance.
- U.S. Applicants: $65
- International Applicants: $75
3. Prepare to Apply
Please be prepared to upload the following information when completing the online application.
- Statement of objectives: State your academic objectives in one to two pages and include the following information:
- career and professional goals and aspirations and how being accepted to the program will specifically benefit your goals and aspirations
- reason for interest in seeking a master’s degree
- evidence of motivation, leadership and strong work ethic
- professional experiences that support application
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Completed Admissions Standards Self-Survey (located within the application)
- Names and emails of two professional and/or academic references
- Unofficial transcripts from each institution attended
- Failure to list any colleges or universities from which you received a degree or enrolled in graduate coursework may result in dismissal from the university.
- If your transcripts are not in English, you must furnish a translation by an appropriate authority.
- You will be asked for official transcripts after notification of admission.
Proof of English Proficiency
Students whose primary language is not English must submit proof of English proficiency during the application process by providing any one of the following official minimum test scores:
Scores must be self-reported within the application and official scores must be sent by the testing service to K-State.
Exception: students who have received a degree in the last two years from a U.S. college or university are not required to take any of the above English language proficiency exams.
Tip: select “Distance-Off Campus” and “Master’s” on the Academic Information page. On the Program Selection page, select “Education” followed by “Educational Leadership.”