Digital Teaching and Learning
The digital teaching and learning area of specialization for the Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction is open to licensed teachers, and all course work is available online.
Educators participating in the program must have:
- A current teaching certificate and classroom teaching experience or equivalent
- A commitment to integrate technology into instruction to improve student learning experiences
Emerging technologies are emphasized to provide a broad view of teaching and learning. Graduates have taken leadership roles in technology integration and positions in technology-rich schools. Others have become technology directors, technology lead teachers and curriculum technologists.
Emphasis on Emerging Technologies
Newly designed courses take a broad view of teaching and learning in the context of virtual learning—learning in which the world is the classroom—beyond the traditional training of educational technology programs.
Evidence of Mastery
Completion of this area of specialization assures school leaders that the graduate has completed a program of study leading to competence in this field through:
- Learning how to apply emerging technologies to instruction
- Translating research into practice
- Analyzing, evaluating and fostering technology use to create new models of leadership for learning
Program Goals, Mission and Outcomes
The program faculty provide instruction, consultation and scholarship which focuses on creating knowledge architects—school and district leaders who think critically about how best to use technology to support student knowledge development, creation and assessment. The program is grounded in learning by doing.
Students will know and be able to:
- understand educational technology research and theory to develop and assess student learning experiences
- recognize the impact of emerging technologies and their applications in teaching and learning
- create effective learning experiences using multiple technologies
- create standards-based technology projects with students
- create a licensure-based professional portfolio
Download the Curriculum and Instruction Online Graduate Programs booklet.