Executive Director of Program Development
The executive director for program development is responsible for leading the coordinated organization, direction and implementation of a dossier of curriculum projects and transformation activities to achieve a university-wide strategic portfolio of market-driven digital learning opportunities poised for enrollment growth. The portfolio includes credit-bearing courses, micro-credentials and degree programs as well as noncredit and professional development programming building on collaborative experiences with various sectors (e.g., business, government, industry). The executive director works collaboratively with cross-institutional and external stakeholders driving critical business development strategies; designing program lifecycle stage plans; engaging market intelligence research; developing pro forma projections and financials; guiding quality course design and curriculum design processes; and supporting successful launch implementation planning. Utilizing an intrapreneurial mindset, design thinking, and Lean and project management approaches, the executive director will have a multitude of projects in various stages of development and revision at one time.
This position reports to the dean.
Strategic Portfolio Management - Program Lifecycle Leadership – 10%
- Develop and maintain a strategic academic portfolio plan, leading a highly collaborative effort to build new and/or revitalize existing learning opportunities to maximize access across Kansas and beyond, fully actualizing K-State’s land-grant mission.
- Utilize a data-informed approach to continually assess program lifecycle stage and develop action plans for sharing with key stakeholders the health and vibrancy of individual programs.
- Build and manage administrative processes to provide structure for new program roll out, academic planning and portfolio management as well as course and curriculum development.
Stakeholder Engagement and Business Development – 30%
- Articulate the value of digital education and propose ways to create and sustain a robust digital learning environment at K-State.
- Serve as a liaison between colleges, departments and units to coordinate the necessary support needed to provide successful online, blended and flipped courses and programs that enhance faculty-student engagement in the digital realm.
- Collaborate with potential stakeholders to identify specific needs and direct market analysis to determine program structure, viability and return on investment projections.
- Reinvent and lead the grant-funding program for development of new online courses and academic programs, managing awards of more than $500,000 in funding each fiscal year.
- Spearhead collaborative engagement with other campus units (e.g., iTAC, K-State Teaching and Learning Center) for the design and delivery of high quality learning experiences for both faculty and students.
- Develop, promote and deploy internal collaborative and knowledge-sharing events around digital education and innovation topics.
Market Intelligence – 10%
- Utilize and incorporate the use of market insights (e.g., market understanding, labor market information, student insight) and competitive insights (competitor intelligence, program understanding) in the evaluation/redesign of current curriculum and development of market-driven academic and professional development programs.
- Develop standardized market- and competitor-reporting capabilities and action-planning approaches.
- Establish and maintain relationships with third party vendors and educational technology solutions in collaboration with ITS and other stakeholders.
Financial Projections and Program Planning/Development – 35%
- Implement a systematic and scalable pro forma financial projection and plan process clearly articulating return on investment and other performance measures for new and/or revised programs.
- Lead design implementation for small and large scale instructional projects engaging design thinking and project management principles and approaches with faculty across the university.
- Develop project charters, plans, milestones, schedules and timelines using standard project management and agile methodologies to ensure projects are completed on time.
- Work with and assemble dynamic university-wide teams of instructional designers, videographers, instructional technologists, coordinators and program developers for specific projects.
- Ensure industry best practices and high quality, just-in-time instructional design and curriculum development support at the course, program and operations levels.
- Develop and implement relevant quality and compliance standards across all new and revised courses/programs. Establish feedback loops related to course quality, student engagement and success for continuous improvement.
- Oversee and allocate resources as they relate to individual programs as well as the overall program portfolio budget. Develop the annual program portfolio budget, participate in the budgeting process, monitor budgets and prepare for and participate in periodic budget review meetings.
- Work on special projects in response to university needs.
Supervision – 10%
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight for staff responsible for market analysis, business development, program development and instructional design.
- Supervise, provide training and mentoring, and define responsibilities, goals, priorities and objectives for all members of the unit staff.
- Provide guidance to staff including development of unit goals and regularly evaluate performance.
- Encourage ongoing professional development for staff.
- Allocate and deploy staff for ongoing assignments and special projects.
K-State Global Campus/University Responsibility – 5%
- Actively engage with Global Campus strategic goal assignments and complete Global Campus goals as assigned.
- Represent Global Campus and the university at local, regional and national meetings and events and make presentations to stakeholders.
- Serve fully on unit, Global Campus or university teams, committees, task forces, etc. as needed or requested.
- Participate in professional development to include programming related to future market and educational trends in higher education, leadership programs and other programs to expand knowledge base.
- Contribute information for inclusion in publicity efforts.
- Be familiar with the Global Campus emergency plan, ensure all staff reporting to this position are familiar with the plan and be prepared to follow the plan if necessary.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Seven years of relevant experience
- Doctoral degree in curriculum and instruction, instructional design, educational technology or related academic discipline
- Five or more years of experience working with faculty members in a research-intensive setting
- University teaching experience
- Hold a PMP certification (e.g., PMP, PgMP, PMI-ACP)
- Experience utilizing design thinking, Lean principles and market intelligence in higher education settings
- Experience applying project management best practices and design-thinking approaches
- Experience using key performance indicators, metrics and data/predictive analytics to support planning, decision-making and continuous improvement efforts
- Experience leading best practices in online design and adaptive learning in order to develop and implement programs and processes that help engage students
- Experience supervising, training, motivating and mentoring staff in a high performing operation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must be self-motivated, detail oriented and analytical
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment, thinking proactively and using good judgment and experience to make decisions
- Strong customer service orientation with an ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Change-management skills, including the ability to adapt and handle some level of ambiguity
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify the appropriate analytical processes for addressing particular issues, arrive at supportable recommendations, build consensus and ensure successful implementation
- Understanding of and sensitivity to diversity issues related to effective communication and interaction with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds, age ranges, social backgrounds, experience levels and more
- Ability to evaluate the attractiveness of new opportunities with an intrapreneurial mindset with appropriate fiscal foundations
- Ability to manage and prioritize across multiple projects, strategic priorities and issues with a drive toward informed answers and results in a focused and efficient manner with an agility to make changes to plans as new information is learned and analyzed
- Ability to plan, oversee and assess strategic initiatives
- Ability to work with internal stakeholders to set standards relating to innovation, student engagement and learning efficacy to be applied across the university programs and overseeing application of these standards
- Ability to serve as a digital learning advocate, navigating and resolving challenges and collaborating with faculty on academic initiatives
Appointment conditions: Unclassified, regular 12-month, exempt appointment
Inclement weather designation: Non-essential
Salary Range/Pay Rate: $72,250-119,200/year
Submit your application and required materials via the Kansas State University K-State Jobs applicant portal. http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/
Contact Lindsey Fouquette at 785-532-1457 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications and skills related to the position
- Resume or curriculum vita listing education and employment history
- Three professional references including name, address, phone number (mobile number if appropriate) and email address
Screening of applicants begins immediately and continues until October 7, 2019.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. Background check required. Kansas State University actively seeks diversity among its employees.