Skip to the content
Kansas State University

Admission Requirements

College of Engineering

The K-State Minor in Nuclear Engineering is available to:

  • graduates of any ABET-accredited engineering program worldwide,
  • Kansas State University undergraduate students*,
  • current students in any ABET-accredited engineering program at any university,

subject to the following criteria:

  1. Students must submit a Nuclear Minor Application Form to the K-State Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering Department; this would preferably occur prior to or within the first year of Minor coursework.
  2. The application must be approved by three Nuclear Engineering faculty members in order for the student to be eligible to receive the K-State Minor in Nuclear Engineering.
  3. Undergraduate students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher.
  4. Graduates of an ABET-accredited engineering program must have attained a cumulative GPA of 2.3 or higher.
  5. Students not already admitted to K-State as an undergraduate student must submit an undergraduate application.

* Students pursuing a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering at Kansas State University have the opportunity to earn a degree Option in Nuclear Engineering by successfully completing a particular course sequence as part of their major course of study. The online Nuclear Engineering Minor addresses the needs of other students at K-State who are not pursuing the nuclear degree Option as well as engineers who already have a B.S. degree in engineering but have little or no nuclear coursework and wish to enhance their expertise in the nuclear engineering area.

How to Apply

Students wishing to begin their coursework for the Nuclear Engineering Minor may do so by completing the required department Minor Application Form and the undergraduate application form found at Review the application information, choose the term for which you wish to apply, and complete the form. On the Education tab under the Academic Information section, be sure to mark "No" that you do not plan to complete a degree, "Yes" that you are seeking a post-degree minor, and "Yes" or "No" that you will have a degree from Kansas State University. Choose "Distance Education" and "Nuclear Engineering – Minor" for the remaining two fields and then click "Next". See the screenshot below for assistance with completing the Academic Information correctly. Students may fill out the optional Scholarship application section if they wish. Although nondegree-seeking students are not considered for general scholarships, they can be considered for scholarships from academic areas.

Click the image to enlarge