Admission Requirements for the Master of Arts in Teaching Program
Prospective MAT students must satisfy the following general and program-specific criteria to gain admission to the program:
- A bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.0 from an accredited university or college
- Transcripts from any bachelor's work forward
- Three letters of recommendation
In addition, all students are required to demonstrate basic academic competence through ONE of the following:
- GRE score of 301 or higher on Verbal and Quantitative (1,000 combined verbal/quantitative, prior to August 2011). GRE® scores are a proven measure of an applicant's readiness for graduate-level work and of his or her potential for success.
- Subtest scores of 150 on Mathematics, 156 on Reading and 162 on Writing on the Educational Testing Services (ETS) Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators. These comprehensive assessments measure the skills and content knowledge of candidates entering teacher preparation programs. There is a combined test for Mathematics, Reading and Writing (test code 5751), or you can take the three tests separately.
Kansas State University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and, as such, programs offered through K-State are authorized in all states who are also members of NC-SARA. K-State also actively seeks authorization in states which do not participate in NC-SARA. To determine if K-State programs are authorized in your state please view the State Authorization page.
Kansas is part of National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC), which maintains reciprocal teacher certification agreements with all 50 states and US territories. For specific certification requirements for your state, please check the NASDTEC website. The College of Education MAT Handbook contains more information about the program and licensing agreements.
For Domestic Students
Applications will be accepted throughout the year with a deadline of April 1.
For International Students
- December 1
How to Apply
You can apply to the Master of Arts in Teaching on the Graduate School's Distance Learning webpage. The website also includes an orientation to distance learning at K-State Global Campus.